RepescaPlas: Valorization of plastic residue material recovered from the sea: characterization, applications, and product development.
The RepescaPlas project notes the minimization and valorization possibilities of generated waste retrieved from the sea by fishing activities and reintegration into the market in accordance with the Circular Economy concept.
Logistics for the collection, recycling, and acquiring of recycled products originating from plastic fraction of marine waste will be established with the collaboration of Fundación Biodiversidad, the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food through the pleamar program, co-financed by the Spanish Federation of Municipalities and Provinces (FEMP).
The system will be economically viable and will be maintained thanks to the joint action of the fishing sector and the plastic industry (transformers and recyclers).
This project will focus on the plastic fraction present in marine waste picked up during fishing in the Spanish coastline. The Valencian Coast (Gandia) and the Galician Coast (Vigo) will be taken as initial focus points for collection.
The general objective of the project is to reduce the impact of marine litter through 5 strategic objectives:
Reduce the amount of trash present in the sea in the areas of operation of the project.
Increase knowledge about the nature, characteristics, and ecotoxicological impact of plastic waste contained in the collected marine litter.
Identify, demonstrate, and evaluate the valorization possibilities of plastic waste.
Transfer the experience to other coastlines
Disseminate the results of the project.
- Define the collection of marine waste, planning collection points and characterization of waste at the harbor.
- Train the fishermen participating in the project (Gandia and Vigo), so that the subsequent collection and valorization is possible and optimal, working on both the objectives and the collection methodology.
- Collection of marine waste during fishing.
- Control the collection of marine litter, characterizing and analyzing collected marine litter.
- Provide the obtained data to the official marine litter monitoring program of the MAPAMA.
- Valorize marine litter, analyzing the possibilities of plastic waste proceeding from marine litter and the possible applications of the obtained recycled material.
- Transfer the results and disseminate the project, conveying the experience among the fishing entities involved in the project to share experiences and results, and transfer this to other coastal areas. Transfer the valorization results to companies in the plastics industry to show this waste as resources for them.
The RepescaPlas project is carried out with the collaboration of Fundación Biodiversidad, the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food through the Pleamar program, co-financed by the Spanish Federation of Municipalities and Provinces (FEMP). The project is coordinated by AIMPLAS and features the participation of Fundación Global Nature, Asociación Vertidos Cero, Universidad de Vigo, and Cofradía de Pescadores de Gandía.More information
Fundación Global Nature
Sostenibles por Naturaleza
Desde 1993 dedicados a la conservación de la naturaleza y la funcionalidad de los ecosistemas